The project is at an early stage.
Grange Road was developed in 1865 from land sold by two estates – in the west the Acland Estate and in the east Southover Priory Estate. At that time the road was part of two parishes – St Ann’s and Southover. Since its development the road has predominantly been a residential one with few businesses.
Residents do however remember when
- there were cottages in St Pancras Gardens
- the water was waist high in the kitchen during the 1960s flood
- a grape lorry overturned
- Lewes rousers (fireworks) were made in the garden shed
- the Winterbourne flooded again in 2000
The Grange Road history group is interested in finding out more about the development of the road including:
- how the plots of land were sold off and the sequence of development
- who the early residents were
- their jobs and businesses
- family sizes and where children went to school
- memories of regular, special or unusual events
We are looking at archived documents in the Keep, also house deeds, newspaper reports, maps, photographs, diaries as well as collecting oral testimonies.
If you have memories or documents to share, do please get in touch.
Project co-ordinator: Bridget Millmore
Contact Bridget via the form below: