As a relative newcomer to Lewes, living at Crosshaven Place in Church Lane, I have become interested in the history of the South Malling area.
After doing quite a bit of research in the records at The Keep in Falmer, and talking with several residents about their memories of the area, I have put together an account of the development of Mill Road, its industries, its buildings and the people who have worked and lived in them. My account breaks down into the following areas:
- The windmill
- Mill House
- The laundry
- Malling Hill Villas
- Development since the 1920s: numbers 2-32 Mill Road
- Mill Road in the Second World War
- Chalk pits and lime kilns on Malling Hill
- Appendix A: Maps – Mill Road 1783-1950
- Appendix B: Photographs of Malling Mill
- Appendix C: Residents of Mill Road to AD 2000
All images are reproduced with permission from the attributed sources.
Click on images to enlarge.
Contact Chris using this form: