Heritage Open Days celebrates England’s architecture and culture by offering free access to properties that are usually closed to the public, or charge for admission.
Eighteen historic Lewes buildings and tours will be accessible over this long weekend. Some are not normally open to the public, and for others, their usual entry charge has been waived for this event.
There are a range of guided tours, and for some, advance booking is essential.
Booking opens on 15 July 2017, and closes on 4 September 2017 for all tours except for: Lewes Prison (closes 1.9.17), and the Police Headquarters (closes 20.8.17) – please check the booking page for details.
Brochure, full details, and how to book your place for tours
An opportunity not to be missed!
Lewes clocks and Fitzroy House interior
Lewes Heritage Open Days is organised by the Friends of Lewes
This new book was published by the Lewes History Group on 27 May 2017.
The building of Depot, Lewes’ new cinema, was the original catalyst for Screen Stories. Reel Lewes, a group of Lewes-based film professionals and researchers led by Ruth Thomson, has spent two years investigating the history of the three previous cinemas in the town: the County Theatre (Watergate Lane), Cinema de Luxe (School Hill) and the Odeon (Cliffe), which operated from 1910 to 1971.
The team recorded what Lewesians remember about cinema-going in the past. While not intended to be a comprehensive history of Lewes cinemas, Screen Stories does vividly bring to life the importance of film and cinema, both in the life of the town and in the lives of its residents.
More information and order form
The Sussex Archaeological Society has two collections of sketches and watercolours by the artist and antiquarian Henry Petrie, FSA (1768 – 1842).
In the late 18th and early 19th centuries Petrie began a record of all the churches and historic buildings across the counties of Sussex, Surrey, Bedfordshire and Kent.
In 1975, with assistance from its members and the Art Fund, The Sussex Archaeological Society purchased what became known as The Sharpe Collection of Watercolours of Sussex Churches.
Pat and Sue Berry have scanned 330 watercolours from this collection, including ones of churches in and around Lewes c 1800, and the Sussex Archaeological Society Library have now made these publicly available. The images and watercolours are all owned by the Society.
There is a link to this collection from the Lewes History Group resource page for photos and images.
Images copyright of Sussex Archaeological Society