Chris Swarbrooke: The Monuments of St John-sub-Castro Churchyard
St John-sub-Castro churchyard is one of the hidden glories of Lewes. Those who have heard John Bleach or Prof John Blair talking about the early history of Lewes will know that there is much more to this important early site than is yet understood, but Chris Swarbrooke is an expert on the more recent history of the town, and in particular the people remembered in its churchyards. Chris studied St John’s Sub Castro Churchyard between 1999 and 2006, together with a group of trainees from the East Sussex Archaeology & Museums Project. They surveyed, recorded, photographed and transcribed all of the tombstones situated within the church and churchyard. Some areas of the churchyard were very overgrown and much work had to be carried out to initially locate the tombstones and then clear the undergrowth and tree saplings in order to be able to transcribe the epitaphs and then photograph the monuments.
Transcription of the Burial registers of St John-sub-Castro (1602 – 1993) showed over 8,000 burials were recorded, while the final plan of the churchyard shows 766 graves with some kind of monument – of which only 11 refused to give up an inscription.
As usual all will be welcome, and we will be serving coffee and biscuits before the meeting.
Venue: The new King’s Church building on Brooks Road, Lewes. (Between Tesco car park and Homebase)
See the Meetings page for a list of forthcoming monthly talks organised by the Lewes History Group.