Lewes History Group: Bulletin 113, December 2019

Please note: this Bulletin is being put on the website one month after publication. If you would like to receive the Bulletin by email as soon as it is published, please contact the Membership Secretary about joining the Lewes History Group, and to renew your membership at the start of the calendar year.

  1. Next Meeting: 9 December 2019: Andrew Buxton, ‘Exploring Public Art in Lewes’.
  2. A.G.M. Agenda
  3. Richard White’s Halfpenny Token
  4. The Early History of Printing in Lewes
  5. Sussex House, 212 High Street (by David Hutchinson)
  6. ‘Lewes Bridge’ painted by Alexander Monro
  7. Southover Church
  8. Lewes History Group Reaches its First Ten-Year Milestone (by Jane Lee)
  9. A.G.M. Reports


  1. Christmas Meeting         7.00 p.m. for 7.30 p.m.       Monday 9 December

      A.G.M. followed by Andrew Buxton: Exploring Public Art in Lewes

Following a short AGM, Andrew Buxton will explain the many aspects of the history of Lewes that are represented by statues, monuments, murals and other public artworks on display in the town. This illustrated talk builds on Andrew’s ‘Lewes Public Art Trail’ leaflet, available from the Tourist Office. Early history is represented by the stylised ammonite ‘snail’ on the Cuilfail roundabout and the capitals on Gideon Mantell’s High Street house. Medieval and early modern references include the painting of the Priory garden on Friars Walk, the Helmet commemorating the Battle of Lewes in the Priory grounds, the madrigal singers in Grange Gardens commemorating Nicholas Yonge, the statue of Tom Paine outside the Library and the painting of him under the Market Tower. The twentieth century is represented by items such as the War Memorial on the High Street and the frieze at County Hall. Most recent are murals on Friars Walk and Station Street supporting the Extinction Rebellion campaign.


  1. A.G.M. Agenda
  • Annual Reports. Please see item 9 below.
  • Appointment of officers. The following officers have been nominated for 2020:
    • Chair for evening meetings: Sue Berry
    • Chair of executive committee: Ann Holmes
    • Secretary: Krystyna Weinstein
    • Treasurer: Ron Gordon
    • Executive committee: John Kay, Jane Lee, Ian McClelland, Barbara Merchant & Neil Merchant
  • Membership subscription. The committee recommends that the annual subscription should remain at £6 p.a. per member and that admissions charges should remain unchanged.
  • Questions and comments.

As this is our Christmas meeting we shall be serving mulled wine and mince pies between 7.00 p.m. and 7.30 p.m. and there will be no entry charge for members.


  1. Richard White’s Halfpenny Token

  Richard White's halfpenny token, 1668

This halfpenny trade token was issued by brazier Richard White of the Cliffe in 1668, at a time when official coinage was in short supply. This survivor was offered for sale on ebay in September 2019.


  1. The Early History of Printing in Lewes

The earliest Lewes printer so far identified is Edward Verrall, who traded in Lewes as a bookseller, printer, publisher and stationer from 1731 to 1767. He was also a loyal Whig and clerk to the Lewes magistrates. In 1731 he was commissioned by the Borough to print public notices about a smallpox outbreak, the first printing so far identified as carried out in the town. Edward Verrall was evicted from 180 High Street by the Tories in 1733, in advance of the 1734 Lewes borough election. He was at 99/100 High Street in 1736, but at 63 High Street 1746-1759. When in 1759 Edward Verrall took a 150 year lease of two High Street houses belonging to Blunt’s Charity, which he demolished and rebuilt, he was described as a newspaper owner, printer, stationer, bookseller and surveyor of windows. 

In 1745 Chichester-born William Lee (1713-1786), who had been apprenticed to a London stationer, came to Lewes and started to print weekly editions of the Sussex Weekly Advertiser (also known as the Lewes Journal). He then lived near the top of Keere Street. In the 1740s and 1750s the two printers Lee and Verrall seem to have worked in partnership. In 1772 William Lee moved his business to 64 High Street, and in that same year he published ‘The Case of the Officers of Excise’ by Tom Paine, who had written anonymously for his newspaper. He was joined in the business by his two sons William Lee (1747-1830) and Arthur Lee (1759-1824). On his death in 1786 the firm became W. & A. Lee, who traded as booksellers, stationers, bookbinders, newspaper proprietors, letterpress & copperplate printers, circulating librarians and papermakers. Arthur Lee was a founding partner of the Pells paper mill.

Edward Verrall, William Lee the elder and his two sons were all active in the civic life of the town. Edward Verrall was headborough in 1735 and constable in 1737 & 1757; William Lee senior was constable in 1775; William Lee junior was constable in 1785 & 1799; and Arthur Lee was headborough in 1788 and constable in 1793, 1807 & 1808.

Gideon Mantell leaves us an interesting pen-portrait of William Lee junior in his diary entry for 26 November 1830:

“On Monday last attended the funeral of Mr William Lee, in his 85th year. He has been editor of the Lewes Paper above half a century, and was a beau-ideal of a country editor of the old school. He was a man of the middle size, rather corpulent, with shaggy hair which would have been grey if he had not kept it of a mahogany colour by Atkin’s tyrian dye! He had a remarkable prominent but thin nose, sharp grey eyes, and a peculiarity of physiognomy hard to describe. He was a man evidently some 50 years ago of strong natural powers, but he had not kept pace with the progress of knowledge, and although remarkably quick and shrewd he was lamentably ignorant of every principle of science. He was an antiquist, that is fond of collecting old things without understanding them, and affected universal knowledge without being acquainted with any branch thoroughly. Yet with all this there was an independence about him and an originality that rendered him valuable. He was buried with masonic honours! A good commentary on his life; this foolery is the only remnant of necromancy that remains when the schoolmaster has mounted the woolsack!”

Sources: Peter Chasseaud, an excerpt from ‘The History of Printing in Lewes’, included in Paul Myles, ‘The Rise of Thomas Paine’ (2018), pp.5 & 99-103; Colin Brent, ‘Georgian Lewes, 1714-1830’ and ‘Lewes House Histories’; Verena Smith (ed), ‘The Town Book of Lewes, 1702-1837’; E. Cecil Curwen (ed), ‘The Journal of Gideon Mantell’, p.88.


  1. Sussex House, 212 High Street             (by David Hutchinson)

Sussex House, 212 High Street, near the bottom of the north side of School Hill, is a substantial Georgian five-bay house of three storeys and a basement, built in grey headers with red brick dressing. It has a wooden moulded bracketed cornice, stuccoed rusticated quoins, and a flat-headed porch supported on Doric columns. In other words, it is a house designed to appeal the ‘gentlemen’, professional men and ‘eminent’ tradesmen of good taste in the mid-eighteenth century. Daniel Defoe thought early Georgian Lewes a ‘fine’ town ‘well built, agreeably situated’.

Sussex House together with what are now 211 and 210 on the up-hill side, probably formed part of a single medieval freehold. The first owner about whom there are written records was Ambrose Compert, one of a clutch of affluent ‘gentlemen’ active in what we would now call local government. He owned the whole property from 1598 to 1610. However, by 1624 it was being taxed as three separate properties with 212 being owned by Thomas Trayton, Ambrose Compert’s brother-in-law. Thomas Trayton had a lucrative career serving the Sackville family and also owned the next door house, Trinity House, now the offices of Adams & Remers.

No record has been found of who rebuilt the house in the mid-eighteenth century but it was quite possibly Thomas Sergison (1701−67), who was the owner from 1738.  He owned Cuckfield Park, was a prominent local Tory, and eventually a supporter of the Duke of Newcastle. Sergison began in the early 1730s as a deadly Tory foe of the Whig Duke, but they made a truce in the mid 1740s, probably to avoid further expense. Sergison rebuilt the Star Inn (now the Town Hall) to better entertain local Tories, where he inserted a fine early-seventeenth century carved staircase from his disused mansion at Slaugham. He also built houses in Lansdown Place to accommodate Tory tenants. When he died in 1767 he owned 51 houses in Lewes.

Edward Medley, the owner of Coneyborough Park near Barcombe and a political supporter of Thomas Sergison is recorded as the occupier in 1746−8, and his wife as the occupier again in 1760. The gentlemen of mid-Sussex and their wives patronized Lewes for the winter ‘season’ of assemblies, concerts and plays, and to avoid the sodden countryside.  John Hoper, an attorney and another prominent Tory owned the house between 1796 and 1812.

The whist-loving Archdeacon Raines, who was tenant 1788-9, was one of the “Rookery” of absentee clergy who rode out each Sunday in their black habits to their neglected rural parishes – in his case Firle and Beddingham. He sanctified a dinner-party on Ash Wednesday by adding pancakes to the menu.

Colin Brent has suggested a date of about 1790 for the shallow bow windows at the back of the property. He has noted in ‘Georgian Lewes’ that such bow windows were modelled upon those in Henry Holland’s Marine Pavilion in Brighton. Nicholas Antram in ‘The Buildings of England –Sussex: East’, p.176, notes that these shallow bow windows were widely copied in fashionable Brighton, as was the use of Holland’s favourite building material, mathematical tile. Colin Brent has also suggested a date of about 1820 for the main staircase. Originally there would have been a separate back staircase, which would have served the second floor servants’ quarters. As this back staircase has been removed, the new owners have extended the main staircase from the first to the second floor.

The 1881 census shows that the house was occupied by a family called Nicholson with eight family members (two parents and six children) and four servants. The 1891 Census shows Janet Lyell as the head of a household comprising her son, a brewer, and her sister as well as a number of boarders and servants.  In the 1901 census, the house was occupied by a family called Cobbett with four family members and two servants. At this time the house is referred to as Hansler House. In 1904 an advert in the Sussex Agricultural Express provided details of furniture and effects to be sold on behalf of Martin Cobbett Esq, referring to items from the reception rooms and bedrooms.

In 1907 the house was occupied by a Mrs Mead. In March 1909 an exhibition of Modern Art was held in the house under the patronage of the Mayor and Mayoress, Viscount and Lady Gage, the Earl and Countess of Chichester, and Lord MonkBretton. From at least 1924 until the early 1950s it was Braughton Ladies school. There is a prospectus from the 1930s in The Keep which describes it as a home school for girls, taking boarders and day pupils, giving special attention to backward and delicate children. There was also a preparatory class for boys. Miss M E Way seems to have been the headmistress throughout its existence.

An advert for the sale of the house by auction appeared in the Sussex Agricultural Express in April 1954. The sales particulars describe it as “Highly suitable for scholastic purposes (its former use) or professional offices, showrooms, or conversion into flats (subject to planning consent).” A planning application for conversion into offices was made later in the year.

The house was bought by the Sussex Rural Community Council (SRCC) in 1956 with a donation of approximately £8000 from a benefactor who had been a Trustee in the early days of the charity.  It is thought that the SRCC moved there in 1958, and the name of the house was changed to Sussex House. SRCC, now generally known as Action in Rural Sussex (AirS), remained in the house until the end of February 2018. In April 2016 planning permission had been given for the conversion of the house back to residential.

Over more than 250 years since the house was rebuilt there have been many alterations.  The back staircase was probably removed by the school. Sussex Rural Community Council carried out structural repairs and conservation work as well as introducing air conditioning and a lift. The floor of the basement was badly damaged in the flood of 2000 and was lowered throughout.  Inevitably, changes to make a building suitable for one purpose are changed again to adapt it for a new purpose.

The conversion of the house back into a single family home has now been completed. The overall aim in the conversion has been to create a thoroughly up-to-date home whilst respecting the mid-eighteenth century character of the building.

Sources: Colin Brent ‘Pre-Georgian Lewes’ and ‘Georgian Lewes’ &Lewes House Histories: Part One – Lewes High Street’ which can be accessed via the Sussex Archaeological Society library catalogue; Heritage Statement: Sussex House, 212 High Street, Lewes by Murphy Associates (2018); and the East Sussex Record Office catalogue description Prospectus for Braughton School, 212 High Street, Lewes. Thanks are also owed to Colin Brent, and to both Jeremy Leggett, the former Chief Executive, and Simon Kiley of Sussex Rural Community Council, for additional information. These notes were prepared for the house’s participation in the 2019 Lewes Heritage Open Days.


  1. ‘Lewes Bridge’ painted by Alexander Monro

Lewes Bridge by Alexander Monro
Image credit: Yale Center for British Art | Licence: Public Domain, Yale Center for British Art

This undated watercolour is from the Paul Mellon collection at the Yale Centre for British Art. It is distinct from, but remarkably similar in composition to, the much finer painting by J.M.W. Turner owned by the Tate gallery and reproduced in Bulletin no.45.


  1. Southover Church

Southover Church from Southover High Street, postcard posted 1909

The most common postcards of Southover church all show the view across the churchyard, from the south. This Edwardian postcard by an anonymous publisher shows instead the view from Southover High Street. It was posted from Lewes to London in 1909.


  1. Lewes History Group Reaches its First Ten-Year Milestone (by Jane Lee)

Ten years is a blink of an eye in historical terms, but for Lewes History Group it is a significant milestone and a moment to note the significant growth and achievements since October 2009.

John Kay, now the Programme Secretary, was the founding father of LHG: “I have chaired the Ringmer History Group since John Bleach and I started it in 1981, and always thought it odd there wasn’t a similar group in Lewes. After retiring in September 2009, I arranged a series of Lewes-focused talks to see what would happen.”  In December 2012 the LHG became a formal, not-for-profit organisation with an executive committee, constitution, bank account and website.

From this date Ian McClelland took the helm as chairman, helped by Ron Gordon (treasurer), John Kay, Neil Merchant (membership), Barbara Merchant (website), Jane Lee (communications) and Ann Holmes. Sue Berry has recently joined the committee and Ian has stepped down, though he remains involved with the Lewes Street Stories project. His role as Chair has been split between two people: Sue Berry and Ann Holmes. To create awareness of the Group, Jane initiated an ongoing publicity programme was initiated by Jane Lee in the local press and online. This, alongside Barbara Merchant’s work on social media and Google search rankings, has played a big role in spreading the word and building membership, website visitors and talk audiences. In October 2019 we had 356 members, double the first formal figure of 175 from January 2013. 

Meetings: Back on 12 October 2009, Helen Poole gave the first lecture on ‘Medieval Lewes, Castle and Priory’ and over the next three months there were weekly talks from local luminaries including John Bleach, Diana Crook, Miles Jenner and Christopher Whittick. A healthy response to these caused an unofficial committee to be formed, which introduced the present format of 11 talks a year on the second Monday of the month. This began in January 2011 (though this meeting had to be deferred due to snow). Audience numbers have grown year on year, starting at 50-100, but over a decade and 100 talks later the average for 2019 is 192. Indeed, this year we had our biggest attendances to date with 286 people filling King’s Church hall to near capacity in January, followed by 273 in February, 261 in May and 245 in November.

Research: From their beginning in February 2010, research meetings have been an equally important part of the Group’s activities, and still are. Initially, a few people met regularly round Paul Myles’ kitchen table to hear short talks on their research topics like the care of Lewes paupers, Lewes maps and the cement works, plus to get help with other projects.

LHG’s main project began in January 2012 under the umbrella title of Lewes Street Stories, supporting members researching the history of their own streets and neighbourhoods. After two time-consuming, and ultimately unsuccessful, applications for Heritage Lottery funding, LSS has been self-funded by the Group. To date 19 projects have been undertaken, including St John Street (which started LSS off), Sun Street, Grange Road, Chapel Hill, South Street, the Pells, Malling Deanery, Nevill estate, Mill Road and more. You can read the results on our website.

Publishing: It was the Sun Street project that led to LHG becoming a book publisher. Written by a team of four led by Rosemary Page and Sue Weeks, they had been researching the history of Sun Street since 2013; had put on a very successful exhibition in September 2014; and given a talk to the LHG in December 2014. The Sun Street Story came out in November 2016 and the print run of 300 has sold out.

Subsequently, in May 2017, a second book came out: Screen Stories – Lewes Goes to the Pictures that is still in print. Inspired by the building of Depot, Lewes’ community cinema, Reel Lewes was a group of local film professionals and researchers led by Ruth Thomson. They spent two years investigating the history of the three previous cinemas in the town: the County Theatre (Watergate Lane), Cinema de Luxe (School Hill) and the Odeon (Cliffe), which operated from 1910 to 1971. The team also made a video, recording what Lewesians remembered about cinema-going in the past. More titles are in preparation for 2020, continuing the LHG’s mission of making local history accessible to everyone.

LHG also publishes a much-valued monthly Bulletin, edited by John Kay, who has produced 113 issues (up to this one) since August 2010. All the content is held on our website and an index document is available on request.

Another valued service LHG offers is publicising local historical events put on by any person or organisation. We pick up a lot by hearsay but organisers are always welcome to send details (see below). Since May 2010 Barbara Merchant has sent 578 notifications to subscribers. Anyone, member or not, can subscribe to these free email alerts by signing up on the home page.

Trips: Finding lesser known venues and organising private tours is a time-consuming but rewarding task and members have taken part in 12 sell-out trips to the likes of Newhaven Workhouse, Preston Manor, the old Police cells in Brighton, Bridge Cottage in Uckfield, Palmeira Mansions and the Regency Town House, both in Hove. Ideas and organising offers to continue this programme are much appreciated.

Courses: Another offshoot of the research activities are the 11 free training sessions that LHG has organised since 2014, including one mega nine-part course on Historical Document Interpretation tutored by Christopher Whittick. Other topics have included genealogy, old deeds, oral history, dating photographs and how to research a street.

Grants: More recently LHG has been able to offer financial support to other historical organisations and projects in the town with small grants. Between September 2015 and June 2019 nearly £3500 has been granted for various Reeves lightbox exhibitions, laboratory analysis of archaeological finds, archive digitisation, the upkeep of Priory School chapel and more.

Enquiries: A growing amount of time has been going into answering enquiries that come in via the website, telephone and social media. For example, in 2011 the website generated 43 requests, whereas January to October 2019 the web/email has yielded 101, plus 14 via the phone and 8 on Facebook. With his font of local knowledge, John Kay takes most of the questions, while others need to be passed to The Keep or Sussex Archaeological Society.

Website: Launched in August 2010, the LHG’s website was created by Barbara Merchant who is still responsible for increasing its reach and visibility online. Recognised as a goldmine of information about Lewes’ history and what resources available, it is the ‘go to’ starting point for anyone interested in the town’s past and its inhabitants. The total reach has gone up over tenfold since 2009, from 10 views per day (average) to 114 in 2019 — that’s 39,450 views a year. This growth is partly down to the rise in social media followers: in mid-November Twitter (@LewesHistory) had 870 and Facebook (LewesHistoryGroup) had 762. 

Conclusion: When you start looking at the range of activities LHG is now involved in and how successful it has become, I think both the committee and the members have grounds to be proud of what the Group has achieved in the last ten years. Long may that continue.

However, in order to continue such levels of activity and success LHG needs more volunteers so please get in touch. Examples of the help required include:

  • Putting up a talk poster in your window
  • Putting out chairs at talks
  • Dispensing teas and coffees at talks
  • Organising an outing
  • Organising a course (we get in outside experts to do the actual training)
  • Joining the committee

Visit www.leweshistory.org.uk to sign up for event alerts & to learn what resources are available.

Email leweshistory@gmail.com with requests, event details or offers of help.


  1. A.G.M. Reports

There are two important aims for the Group which remain the focus for the LHG:

  • To make the history of Lewes accessible to the general public,
  • To promote projects that engage local people in the development and dissemination of knowledge about the history of Lewes.

Membership report (by Neil Merchant)

Last year I reported that we had 315 members, and our current 2019 membership is substantially above that, at 356. We continue to see this incremental growth every year, which is very encouraging. We now have some 290 names on our “Information only” email contact list, somewhat reduced from last year as several email addresses are no longer valid. but we are in regular contact with some 650 people in total.

2019 renewals started well at the November talk, with 69 paying their 2020 dues. You will be able to renew your membership by post or at our December, January, February and March meetings, where new membership cards will be waiting for you. Again, I’d like to thank everyone for their helpfulness over membership matters, which has made my job a continuing pleasure, although despite that I would like to recruit an assistant with a view to handing over the reins later in 2020. If you’d be interested in doing this, do get in touch, either by email via the LHG contact us page, or at a meeting.

Meetings, Visits & Bulletin (by John Kay)

Our programme of monthly meetings again covered a wide variety of topics and most were well attended and received. Our average attendance during 2019 up to November has been close to 200. The best attended meetings in 2019 were Chris Smith on ‘Local History with the Path Detectives’ (296), Helen Poole on ‘Thomas Cromwell and the Dissolution of the Sussex Monasteries’ (273), Tom Reeves on ‘Edward Reeves  and the Evolution of Photography’ (261) and Sue Berry on The Victorian and Edwardian Suburbs of Lewes’ (245). We arranged only one visit this year, a repeat visit to the Regency Town House in Hove organised by Mike Stepney.

We have continued to publish monthly editions of the Lewes History Bulletin, covering an eclectic mix of topics and images relating to Lewes history. Barbara Merchant’s magic means that relevant Bulletin articles generally pop up high on the list of Google search results, but I maintain for my own use an electronic index of the Lewes people, places and topics mentioned, and if anyone would like a current copy of this index, or its entries for any particular subject, I would be happy to email it to you.

Research Methods Courses (by Jane Lee & Sue Berry) 

During the year we have arranged four courses to develop our members’ research skills. Jane Lee organised a multi-part course to teach 16 members how to start researching their house/street histories. The mix of practical and academic training was held over 4 dates in Feb & May at The Keep (2 days) and then short tours of SAS Library, Barbican & the local studies area of Lewes Library. The others, arranged by Ann Holmes and Sue Berry, were courses on Oral History – methods, strengths and pitfalls; on handwriting during the 16th and 17th centuries using a series of copies of documents of the period; and  (scheduled for December) on understanding title deeds. We paid experts on the subjects to lead all four courses.

All have been well received. They take quite a lot of planning and administration and as a small committee we have limited time and so we will offer two next year. We welcome suggestions. Please send them to our usual email address which is leweshistory@gmail.com. 

Website, Facebook, and Twitter (by Barbara Merchant)

Website usage continued to rise to approximately 39,450 views in the 12 months to mid-November 2019, averaging 114 views per day.

Our website News items are copied to Facebook and Twitter, drawing followers to the website. A continuing effort to increase our Facebook presence to reach a new audience has maintained a rise in website views.

  • Twitter – 870 following @LewesHistory (2018: 809), +7.5%
  • Facebook – 762 following LewesHistoryGroup FB page (2018: 660), +15.5%
  • Website – 208 News items subscribers (2018: 180), +15.6%

The most popular website pages in 2019 were events, research resources, Bulletins, and Lewes Street Stories reports.  

Finances (by Ron Gordon)

Lewes History Group income for the year 1st Dec 2018 to 30th Nov 2019 was £6,043.38 and expenditure for the same period was £4,323.15.  The income for the year was very similar to the previous year, the reduced subscription rate being offset by an increase in membership.  The increase in expenditure included donations to the SAS digitisation project and the Reeves Archive Light Boxes. However we still maintained a surplus of income over expenditure.

LHG Treasurer's Report 2019

Communications report (by Jane Lee)

Our marketing activities have been maintained at similar levels during the year and numbers have grown for both joining LHG and attending talks. In fact, we have had record audiences at meetings this year with an average attendance of 192 (Jan-Nov 2019). In 2018 this average was 175.

The Sussex Express and Viva Lewes are still the prime ways of reaching non-members. LHG promotional activities in 2019 included:

  • Taking a stand at the Societies Fair in Sept
  • Leaflets at Heritage Open Days in Sept
  • Using our social media accounts to promote our own and other local history events.
  • Talk information distributed to:
    • Sussex Express
    • Viva Lewes
    • Lewes News
    • 7 online what’s on pages: Lewes.co.uk, Freegle Community Events, LDC (VisitLewes.co.uk), ESCC Library (escis.org.uk), List.co.uk, WhereCanWeGo.com, & SeahavenFM.com (a local radio station)
    • Newsletters & websites of associates e.g. Lewes Archaeology Group, Friends of Lewes
    • A4 posters in Tourist Information Office, Library, Barbican, Bow Windows Bookshop & Nevill noticeboard. Also, the windows of members in all parts of the town and some nearby villages
    • Leaflets placed in locations around town e.g. TIC, All Saints
    • LHG website, event emailings & Bulletin

The LHG leaflet was refreshed and 1000 printed by SDC Reprographics Dept in February.


We would also like to take this opportunity, on behalf of all LHG members, to record thanks to the following for their valuable contributions to the work of the LHG during 2018:

    • To your Executive Committee for all their hard work
      • Ron Gordon, Ann Holmes, John Kay, Jane Lee, Ian McClelland, Barbara Merchant, Neil Merchant and Krystyna Weinstein
    • To all our speakers at
      • our public meetings and
      • our Research meetings
    • To all the people who have helped to run the Public Meetings.
      • Tessa Bain; preparation and mounting the LHG display
      • Peter Holmes, Bob Trott and others; preparation of and clearing up the meeting room
      • Anna Kay, Ann Holmes, Jan Osborne, Shirley Nairne and others on refreshments
      • Dee O’Connell, Janet Kennedy, Peter Earl, John Geall, David Kemp, Michael Kennedy, TonyDuc, Lynn Pilford, Brenda Ford, Rosemary Norris, John Boyle, Ann Holmes, Tessa Bain & Jane Lee; displaying our meeting posters
      • and everyone else who has helped out over the last year
    • To Lloyd Raworth for continuing to support us with his design work
    • To Mike Stepney for auditing our accounts and arranging this year’s visit to the Regency Town House
    • And most importantly, to yourselves for your continued support; the members, the attendees at our meetings and the many others on our list of friends.

John Kay                      


Contact details for Friends of the Lewes History Group promoting local historical events:

Sussex Archaeological Society
Lewes Priory Trust

Lewes Archaeological Group and go to ‘Lectures’
Friends of Lewes
Viva Lewes
The Arts Society: Uckfield & Lewes – meets 2nd Wed. Guests £7 per talk

Lewes History Group Facebook, Twitter




This entry was posted in Art & Architectural History, Economic History, Lewes, Local History, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.