Also known as the Isolation Hospital, and the Lewes Sanitary Hospital
The Lewes Hospital for Infectious Diseases stood just off the Nevill Road from 1877 to 1939. Following its closure, the building was converted into the four Nevill Place Flats, and later into a new home for St Mary’s Social Centre, which opened in 1962.
Peter Russell completed his history of the Hospital in 1992, using information from the early hospital minute books which are held at the East Sussex Record Office, The Keep.
We have reproduced the text of The Lewes Hospital for Infectious Diseases on the Lewes History Group website, with thanks to Peter Russell, Colin Reynolds, and Fran Whittle of Lewes News.
Lewes Fever Hospital architectural plans from: Tenth Annual Report of the Local Government Board, 1880-1881. Supplement containing report and papers submitted by the Board’s Medical Officer on the use and influence of hospitals for infectious diseases. Great Britain. Local Government Board, Date . Welcome Collection
See also Alan Brown’s collection of newspaper cuttings and photos regarding the conversion of the Nevill Place Flats into a new home for the St Mary’s Social Centre.