Mill Road History > Mill House
Mill House was built in the late 18th or early 19th Century. It appears on a map of the district made by William Figg in 1824. The wording of contemporary land tax assessments suggests that it might have been built in around 1770, but it is also possible that it was built at the same time as the mill itself was substantially renovated in the 1810s.
Mill House was inhabited continuously by the mill owners or head millers (often the same person) and their families until milling on the site ceased in the early 20th Century.
The house then became associated with the steam laundry, which stood at the bottom of Mill Road, where the flats now stand. Mrs Bishop, the laundry manageress, her family and two laundry workers lived there at the time of the 1901 and 1911 censuses.
Image reproduced with permission of East Sussex Record Office, copyright reserved. P/410/2/2. (Click to enlarge)
Another long-term resident (1947 – 1986) was Mrs Hettie Woodward, who drove ambulances during the war, lived to the age of 102 and waited until she was 88 before taking a driving test.