LHG Bibliography: Religion

See also Lewes Priory

Blaauw, W.H., Sussex monasteries at the time of their suppression: Boxgrove, Shulbred, Bayham, Dureford, Lewes: partly from original MSS, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1854, 7, 217-228. [Full text of article]

Brent, Colin, Lewes dissenters outside the law, 1663-86, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1985, 123, 195-214.

Brent, Colin; Brent, Judith, The dedication of St. Anne’s Church, Lewes [Historical note], Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1993, 131, 200-201.

Burchall, Michael, J., Lewes Non-Conformist Registers: Westgate Chapel, Independent Tabernacle, Bethesda Chapel, MS Manuscripts of Sussex, 1975.
The baptism registers of Westgate Meeting House (1742-1834), Bethesda Chapel, St John Street (1817-1842) and the Independent Tabernacle (1817-1839).

Caffyn, John M., Sunday schools in Sussex in the late 18th century, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1994, 132, 151-160.

Connell, J.M., Lewes: Its Religious History, W.E. Baxter, 1931.

Connell, J.M. (ed.), Problems of Reconstruction, W.E. Baxter, 1919.
A volume of essays delivered by the Westgate Chapel Literacy Society, Lewes.

Connell, J.M., The Story of an Old Meeting House, Longmans, Green & Co, 1916.
About Westgate Chapel.

Cooper, J.H., A religious census of Sussex in 1676, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1902, 45, 142-148.
Contains 16 + years of the parish census for the Archdeaconry of Lewes, including the number of popish recusants and other dissenters resident in the parishes. This was to assess whether their number was ‘too formidable to be suppressed’. [Full text of article]

Cooper, J.H., Return of conventicles in Sussex, 1669, and King Charles’ licences for nonconformists, 1672, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1908, 51, 1-13.
[Full text of article]

Cownie, Emma, Conquest, lordship and religious patronage in the Sussex rapes, 1066-1135, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1998, 136, 111-122.

Davey, Roger, Three Lewes martyrs of 1557, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 2000, 138, 231-234.

Dunkin, Edwin Hadlow W., Contributions towards the ecclesiastical history of the Deanery of South Malling, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1875, 26, 9-96.
Introduction pp 9-11 includes list of vicars and rectors 1349-1841, St Thomas at Cliffe pp. 22-28. [Full text of article]

The Editor, An early grant to Lewes Priory, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1887, 35, 193-194.
List of churches and chapels granted to Lewes Priory in 1121.

Figg, William, Extracts from documents illustrative of the suffering of the Quakers in Lewes, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1864, 16, 65-125.
[Full text of article]

Gardiner, Mark; Russell, Miles; Gregory, David, Excavations at Lewes Friary 1985-6 and 1988-9, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1996, 134, 71-123.

Geering, Cliff, with Armstrong, Nick; Pett, Alan; Smith, Robert; Smith, David (transcribers and editors), The Cliffe Chapel: A Historical Sketch, Christ Church, Lewes, 2016.

Geering, Cliff, with Armstrong, Nick; Pett, Alan; Smith, David (transcribers and editors); Vance, Norman (research and bibliography), The Tabernacle 1816-1829, Christ Church, Lewes, 2016.

Geering, Cliff, with Armstrong, Nick; Pett, Alan; Smith, David (transcribers and editors); Vance, Norman (research and bibliography), The Tabernacle 1829-1864, Christ Church, Lewes, 2016.

Godfrey, Walter H., The Church of St Anne, Lewes: an Anchorite’s cell and other discoveries, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1928, 69, 159-169.

Godfrey, Walter H., The Parish Churches of Lewes in the 14th century, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1927, 68, 171-178.

Goring, Jeremy J., Burn, Holy Fire! Religion in Lewes since the Reformation, Lutterworth, 2003.

Goring, Jeremy, A Sussex dissenting family: the Ridges of Westgate Chapel, Lewes, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1991, 129, 195-215.

Goring, Jeremy, Why did Horsfield leave Lewes? Sussex Archaeological Collections, 2000, 138, 234-235.

Gratwick, A.S.; Whittick, Christopher, The Loseley list of ‘Sussex Martyrs’: a commission of enquiry into the fate of their assets and the development of the Sussex Protestant martyrology, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1995, 133, 225-240.

Hamilton, Rev F.J.; Martin, W. Stanley, Turn or Burn: The Lewes Protestant Martyrs’ Memorial Volume, De Montfort Press, 1901.
This volume was published to coincide with the erection of the Martyrs’ Memorial on Cliffe Hill.

Hickman, Michael R., The role of soldiers in the origins of Wesleyan Methodism in Brighton and other towns on the Sussex coast , Sussex Archaeological Collections , 2005, 143, 257-266. [Abstract] [PDF 529Kb]
There is significant mention of Lewes in this article.

Hitchen, David, Quakers in Lewes: an Informal History,  Lewes Quakers, 1984. Revised edition, 2010. [Online version]

Holgate, Mary S., The Canons’ Manor of South Malling, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1929, 70, 183-195.

Homan, Roger, Mission and fission: the organization of Huntingtonian and Calvinistic Baptist causes in Sussex in the 18th and 19th Centuries, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1997, 135, 265-282.
About William Huntington, the Jireh Temple

Hudson, William, Extracts from the first book of the Parish of Southover, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1905, 48, 16-37.
Covers 1574-1725. Includes: Churchwardens’ account at Easter 1561, which contains the sale of vestments and Church goods in use during the brief revival of pre-Reformation ritual in Queen Mary’s reign. Also deals with the business of an ecclesiastical vestry, a civil township/borough, and of a Manorial Leet Court. [Full text of article]

Keeble, Edgar B., The Story of the Lewes Baptists, W.E. Baxter, 1934.

Ladipo, Sue, A History of St Michael the Archangel, the Parish Church of South Malling, South Malling Parish Church, 2002. [Online version]

Lower, Mark Antony, The Sussex Martyrs: their Examinations and Cruel Burnings in the Time of Queen Mary: Comprising the Interesting Personal Narrative of Richard Woodman, Baxter & Son, 1851.

Mainwaring Johnston, P., Hardham Church and its early paintings, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1901, 44, 73-115.
Church at Westmeston seems to be an early endowment of Lewes Priory, and the Priors became patrons of the living at Hardham. [Full text of article]

Marten, William, Selections from the Diary and Epistolatory Correspondence of the Late William Marten of Lewes, Harvey & Darton, 1828.
William Marten, (1764-1822) was born in Lewes, worked for a relative who was a Lewes shopkeeper, became a Quaker and Minister of the Friends in Lewes. A Google book.

Michell Whitley, H., The Churchwardens’ accounts of St Andrew’s and St Michael’s, Lewes, from 1522 to 1601, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1902, 45, 40-61.
Contains extracts from the churchwardens’ accounts for St Andrews 1522-1546, ‘probably St Mary in foro and St Martin were annexed at the same time’. These accounts give a picture of a medieval Sussex church and the annual progression of the Reformation. [Full text of article]

Phillips, C.T., Relics of the Church of St Peter Westout, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1894, 39, 216.
Brief piece on large worked stones from St Peter’s in Rotten Row. [Full text of article]

Quinn, Paul, Richard Woodman: Sussex Protestantism and the Construction of Martyrdom. In: M. Dimmock, A. Hadfield and P. Quinn (eds.), Art, Literature and Religion in Early Modern Sussex, Ashgate, 2014, 195-220.

Ray, J.E., Lewes nonconformity in the early eighteenth century, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1908, 51, 183-186.
[Full text of article]

Rector, W.K., Lewes Quakers in the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1978, 116, 31-40.

Renshaw, Walter C., Notes from the Act Books of the Archdeaconry Court of Lewes, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1906, 49, 47-65.
Covers 1581-1641 and includes the wide range of villages whence litigants came. [Full text of article]

Renshaw, Walter C., Some clergy of the Archdeaconry of Lewes and South Malling Deanery, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1912, 55, 220-277.

Salzman, Louis F., The last Prior of Lewes, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1935, 76, 178-182.
Robert Croham alias Peterson, who was also the last Dean of South Malling College.

Salzman, Louis F., Sussex Religious at the Dissolution, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1954, 92, 24-36.
Includes on pp. 32-34 a list of Lewes Priory monks granted pensions at the Dissolution and some brief biographies.

Sawyer, F.E., Dedication of St Ann’s Church, Lewes, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1887, 35, 191.
Dedication changed in 1631, rather than in Queen Anne’s reign.

Sawyer, John, Notes on the Ridge family, being some extracts from “A Book of Memorandums Kept by William Ridge”, 1715-1785, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1890, 37, 116-132.
William Ridge had family connections with Lewes. Includes a grocer’s bill for 1759, flood destroying Cliffe Bridge 1726, earthquake 1734, river frozen 1739, reports of religious services in Lewes. [Full text of article]

Stevens, F. Bentham, The dedication of S. Anne’s Church, Lewes, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1911, 54, 265-270.

Stoneham, Edward T., Sussex Martyrs of the Reformation, Sussex Martyrs Commemoration Council, 1st edn 1935; 2nd edn 1952; 3rd edn 1967.

Turner, Edward, The College of Benedictine Canons at South Malling, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1852, 5, 127-142.

Vinall, Kathleen, Tape recordings made in 1972 by Kathleen Vinall, born 1905. She was the daughter and granddaughter of Lewes solicitors Hugh Vinall and Isaac Vinall, a family with a close association with Jireh Chapel, where here ancestor John Vinall had been preacher.