LHG Bibliography: Lewes Priory

See also Religion, Houses, Buildings, and Lewes Localities

Anderson, Freda, The Tournai marble sculptures of Lewes Priory, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1984, 122, 85-100.

Anderson, Freda, Two Romanesque capitals from Lewes Priory, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1989, 127, 49-60.

Attree,  F.W., History of the Parish of Wivelsfield. Part 2, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1888, 36, 19-72.
Includes the tithes of Wivelsfield parish held by Lewes Priory. [Full text of article]

Blaauw, W.H., On the Cluniac Priory of St Pancras at Lewes, its priors and monks, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1850, 3, 185-210.
Map shows the railway excavations 1845-6. Information on the destruction of the priory, details of the novitiate of the monks, and the difficulties of procuring monks, biographical info of abbots from 1077-1537, plunder of the priory during the destruction. Woodcut of Cardinal’s ring from 13th century. [Full text of article]

Blaauw, W.H., On the early history of Lewes Priory, and its seals, with extracts from a MS chronicle, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1849, 2, 7-37.
With 2 plates. [Full text of article]

Blaauw, W.H., Sussex monasteries at the time of their suppression: Boxgrove, Shulbred, Bayham, Dureford, Lewes: partly from original MSS, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1854, 7, 217-228. [Full text of article]

Blaker, Reginald; de St. Croix, W, St Pancras Priory, Lewes, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1871, 23, 325-327.
Discovery of a subterraneous chamber and passages. [Full text of article]

Boyson, Ambrose P., On some encaustic tiles and other objects recently discovered at Lewes Priory, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1900, 43, 214-219.
Includes tiles dated c. 1250, Norman shaft fragments (see SAC, 1853, 6, 259), iron shots and bronze bell. [Full text of article]

Crook, B.M., The charters of Lewes Priory, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1941-42, 82, 73-95.

Crook, B.M., General history of Lewes Priory in the twelfth and thirteenth centuries, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1940, 81, 68-96.

Daniel-Tyssen, J.R., Documents relating to Lewes Priory, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1873, 25, 136-151.
Includes translations from Latin documents concerning grants to and by the Priory from 1323. [Full text of article]

Duckett, G. F., Additional materials toward the history of the Priory of St Pancras at Lewes, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1887, 35, 101-126.
The original records of Lewes Priory and details from the Chapter House archive.

Duckett, G.F., Charters of the Abbey of Cluni: more particularly affecting its affiliated Priory of St Pancras, at Lewes, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1886, 34, 121-126.
Concerns the question of Gundreda’s royal descent, and includes the Latin foundation charter of Lewes Priory.
[Full text of article]

De Putron, P., City mansion of the Prior of Lewes, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1883, 33, 269.
Short quote on the city mansion of the Prior of Lewes 1275 in Milk Street, from The History of London,William Maitland, 1739. [Full text of article]

The Editor, An early grant to Lewes Priory, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1887, 35, 193-194.
List of churches and chapels granted to Lewes Priory in 1121.

Figg, William, On “The Lantern” in the Cluniac Priory of St Pancras, Lewes, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1854, 7, 151-158.
With woodcuts. [Full text of article]

Galbraith, V.H., Press-marks on the deeds of Lewes Priory, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1924, 65, 196-205.

Godfrey, W.H., The Priory of St Pancras, Lewes: a Short Historical Guide to the Ruins at Southover,  Farncombe, 1927.

Godfrey, Walter H., Swanborough Manor House, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1936, 77, 3-14.
Swanborough belonged to Lewes Priory.

Hope, W.H. St John, The architectural history of the Cluniac Priory of St Pancras at Lewes, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1886, 34, 71-106.
Includes conjectural section from North to South through transcepts and dormitories, ground plan of the priory.  Two sections: the church, and the conventual buildings with four Latin charters from foundation to the grant of the site from Henry VIII to Thomas Cromwell.
[Full text of article]

Hope, W.H. St John, The Cluniac Priory of St Pancras at Lewes, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1906, 49, 66-88.
Includes the monastic infirmary excavations 1900-1902, and correspondence between Giovanni Portinari and Thomas Cromwell. [Full text of article]

Leeson Prince, C., An epitaph for the tomb of Lady Gundrada, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1898, 41, 232-234.
With illustrations of Gundrada’s tombstone in Southover Church and Isfield Church 1856. The original epitaph in Latin, plus translation. Epitaph removed at Dissolution to Isfield Church, restored to Lewes Priory in 1775. [Full text of article – partially unreadable]

Leeson Prince, C., On the discovery of the remains of William de Warenne and his wife, Gundrada, at Lewes, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1896, 40, 170-172.
Brief personal account of the finding of the tombs. [Full text of article]

Lewes Priory Research Group, Guide to the Sources for the History of Lewes Priory, 1997.
A n extensive guide to research resources, which are organized into sections dealing with printed material, documentary sources, and paintings and drawings. Published editions of manuscripts have been included with documentary sources.

Lewis Andre, J.; Keyser, C.E.; Johnston, P.M.; Michel Whitley, H., (Committee Members), Mural painting in Sussex churches: [report of the Committee], Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1900, 43, 220-251.
Includes brief notes on Lewes Priory, Southover Church and St Thomas at Cliffe. [Full text of article]

Mainwaring Johnston, P., Hardham Church and its early paintings, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1901, 44, 73-115.
Church at Westmeston seems to be an early endowment of Lewes Priory, and the Priors became patrons of the living at Hardham. [Full text of article]

Mayhew, Graham, The Monks of St Pancras: Lewes Priory, England’s Premier Cluniac Monastery and its Dependencies 1076-1537, Lewes History Press, 2013.

Phillips, C.T., Archaeological discovery at Southover, Lewes, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1890, 37, 194-195.
Skeletons indicating the site of Lewes Priory cemetery north and east of the Priory. [Full text of article]

Phillips, C.T., Probable remains of Lewes Priory, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1896, 40, 269.
Discovered during drainage works in Priory Street. [Full text of article]

Phillips, Charles T., Relics from St Pancras’ Priory, Lewes, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1892, 38, 205.
Finds from 1853-1854. [Full text of article]

Phillips, C.T., Relics of ancient Lewes, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1892, 38, 225.
Excavations for the new town hall on Star Hotel site reveals stonework from Lewes Priory. [Full text of article]

Poole, Helen, Lewes Priory, The Site and its History, Lewes Priory Trust, 2000.

Round, J.H., Some early grants to Lewes Priory, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1896, 40, 58-78.
Charter of 1121, confirmation of ownership by the Archbishop of Canterbury to Lewes Priory of its churches and possessions. [Full text of article]

Salzman, Louis F., The last Prior of Lewes, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1935, 76, 178-182.
Robert Croham alias Peterson, who was also the last Dean of South Malling College.

Salzman, Louis F., Sussex Religious at the Dissolution, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1954, 92, 24-36.
Includes on pp. 32-34 a list of Lewes Priory monks granted pensions at the Dissolution and some brief biographies.

Sawyer, Frederick John, The “Great Pigeon-House” of the Cluniac Priory of St Pancras, Lewes, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1896, 40, 270-271.
With ground plan (80ft square), as traced during the drought of 1895. [Full text of article]

Smith, J.T., A note on the architectural history of Lewes Priory, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1964, 102, 33-38.

Spurrell, F., Architectural relics of Lewes Priory, with an introduction, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1853, 6, 253-264.
With lithographs, woodcut. [Full text of article]

Sawyer, Frederick Ernest, Sussex markets and fairs, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1888, 36, 180-192.
The Domesday Survey suggests Lewes to be the earliest market in Sussex, and included slave sales, p. 182. Also mentions: William de Warenne’s grant to Lewes Priory of the whole market of wood in Lewes; the earliest mention of a market house –  1564; Cliffe market grant by Henry IV.
[Full text of article]

Thurlby, Malcolm, A twelfth-century figure fragment from Lewes Priory [Archaeological note], Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1982, 120, 215-222.

Advertisements