Dr Sue Berry: The Royal Pavilion and its Grounds – from Lodging House to Public Ownership, c. 1780-1855
When George, Prince of Wales, decided that he would like a house in Brighton, his steward leased Kemp’s lodging house which subsequently became part of Holland’s development of a small and attractive Pavilion.
From the 1780s until about 1830 the site was developed as a royal home, more land being bought periodically to accommodate the Prince’s increasing aspirations. When the Town bought the estate, parts of the Pavilion were sold to help oﬀset the bill.
This lecture will look at how the estate developed and ended with the sale to Brighton and the impact on the palace we see today.
Dr Sue Berry, a former vice chair of the Regency Society, is well known in Brighton and Hove and beyond for her writing and her lectures on local history.
Venue: Brighton City College, Pelham Street, Brighton