A Lewes Archaeological Group event
Dr Sue Berry, FSA: Our changing parish churches – c1700-1914 – the work of the Georgians, Victorians and Edwardians in Lewes and nearby
Historian Sue Berry is a specialist in 18th century landscape history and also writes about the 19th century.
During 18th century and early 19th century, most of the town’s parish churches were altered to accommodate growing congregations and the need to repair, but much medieval work remained.
In the mid-later part of 19th century all the parish churches were re-ordered because ideas about how worship changed. The Victorian’s passion for Gothic as they understood it also resulted in the loss of earlier work.
Venue: Lecture Room, Lewes Town Hall (Fisher Street entrance, lift access available)
Entrance (including tea or coffee) is LAG members: £3 (£2 concessions);
non-members: £4 (£3 concessions).
Non-members are very welcome
Free entrance for those aged 18 and under