Acknowledgements and References

The Lewes Street Stories Initiative>>Chapel Hill>>Acknowledgements and References


Meg, Mary and Shân would first and foremost, like to thank their neighbours on the Hill for so willingly and enthusiastically sharing their knowledge about their properties. In addition, they are very grateful to Sue Harvey and Nick Cannan for putting together and operating the ‘visuals’ during the presentation to the Lewes History Group. Thanks also go to local historians for sharing their findings and images, particularly John Bleach (the Lund sisters and their poems), Colin Brent (details of historical ownerships in Chapel Hill), John Davey (postcards), John Farrant (Baldy’s Garden information and pictures), Philip Pople (cricket history) and Rendel Williams (postcards), as well as the staff of Lewes Library, East Sussex Record Office (ESRO) and the Sussex Archaeological Society (SAS). (A list of research references follows on the next page.) Finally Meg, Mary and Shân are very grateful for the support and encouragement they received from members of the Lewes History Group throughout the project.



Books and articles

Antram, N. and Pevsner, N., The Buildings of England. Sussex: East with Brighton and Hove.  Yale University Press, 2013

Brandon, Peter, The South Downs, Hodder and Stoughton, 1998

Brent, Colin, Georgian Lewes, 1714-1830: The Heyday of a County Town, Colin Brent Books, 1993

Brent, Colin, Pre-Georgian Lewes c.890-1714: The Emergence of a County Town, Colin Brent Books, 2004

Caffyn, John, Sussex Schools in the 18th Century, Sussex Record Society, vol 81, p167, 1998. He describes the Lund sisters’ schools.

Challen, W.H., Baldy’s Garden, the Painters Lambert, and other Sussex Families.  Sussex Archaeological Collections.  Vol 90, pp103-153, 1952

Chapman, Brigid, The Chronicles of the Cliffe and South Malling, 688-2003AD, The Book Guild Ltd., 2003

Davey, L.S., The Inns of Lewes Past and Present, Revised edition by Andrew Whitnall, Pomegranate Press for The Friends of Lewes Society, 2006

Davey, L.S., The Street Names of Lewes, Revised edition by Kim Clark, Pomegranate Press for The Friends of Lewes Society, 2010

Dunvan, P., Ancient and Modern History of Lewes and Brighthelmston, W. Lee, 1795. Available online

Elliston, R.A., Lewes at War 1939-1945, Alma Cott Publications, 1995

Farrant, John, Lewes Castle Transformed, Sussex Archaeological Collections 134, pp169-177, 1996. He thanks John Bleach for the dating of Baldy’s Garden.

Foster, J.K., Life and Times of Selina Countess of Huntingdon, Volume 1, William Edward Painter, London, 1839. Available on-line.

Goring, Jeremy, Burn Holy Fire: Religion in Lewes since the Reformation, The Lutterworth Press, 2003

Horsfield, Rev. Thomas Walker, and Mantell, Gideon Algernon, The History and Antiquities of Lewes and its vicinity, Vol. 1, Sussex Press / J. Baxter, Lewes, 1824. Available on-line

McCann, Timothy J., Sussex Cricket in the Eighteenth Century, Sussex Record Society, 2004

Middleton, Judy, Lewes in Old Photographs, Sutton Publishing Ltd., 1990

Keeble, Edgar B., The Story of the Lewes Baptists, W.E. Baxter, 1934

Kirby, Gilbert W., The Elect Lady, The Trustees of the Countess of Huntingdon’s Connexion, revised edition 1990. Available on-line at

Poole, Helen, Lewes Past, Phillimore & Co. Ltd., 2000

White, Graham, The History of Lewes Golf Club 1896-1996, Lewes Golf Club, 1996

Woollgar, T.  Spicilegia sive Collectanea ad Historiam et Antiquitates Municipii et Viciniae Lewensis.  Vol. 2.  Early 19th century MS volume in the library of the Sussex Archaeological Society


Other documents

Censuses 1841-1911 for Cliffe and South Malling Parishes

James Edwards’ Map of Lewes, 1799, ESRO

Kelly’s Directory of Lewes: 1957-1974 (with some omissions)

National Archive on-line (for summary of documents held at ESRO)

Ordnance Survey Maps: 1873 (1:500 scale) and also 1899 (1:2500 scale), ESRO

Pike’s Lewes, Newhaven and Seaford Directory: 1906 -1952 (with some omissions)

Planning applications made to Lewes District Council 1951-2000(on-line summaries available at

Sussex Advertiser (18th-19th century)

Title deeds for individual properties

William Figg’s Map of Lewes, 1775, SAS