LHG Bibliography: Houses, Buildings and Lewes Localities

See also Lewes Castle, Lewes Priory

Allen, M.J., A possible barrow at Lewes, TQ 40791047, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1986, 124, 252-254.
Gundreda Road site

Anonymous, Lewes Twittens, Friends of Lewes, 1991.

Barber, Luke; Sibun, Lucy, The medieval hospital of St. Nicholas, Lewes, East Sussex: excavations 1994, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 2010, 148, 79-109. [Abstract] [PDF 1Mb] A supplement is included in the volume.

Berry, Sue, Laughton Church chancel and other major church alterations in and around Lewes, East Sussex, c. 1740 – 1810: the roles of architects and local craftsmen, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 2004, 142, 107-113. [Abstract] [PDF 3600Kb]
Includes St Michael’s on Lewes High Street, St Thomas’s in Cliffe, All Saints on Friars Walk, as well as Laughton Church and Glynde Church.

Berry, Sue, Stanmer House and Park, East Sussex: the evolution of a small Downland country house and its setting c. 1710-1805, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 2005, 143, 239-255. [Abstract] [PDF 1402Kb]
Stanmer House belonged to the Pelham family.

Blaauw, WH., Extracts from the “Iter Sussexiense” of Dr John Burton, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1855, 8, 250-265. [Full text of article]

Blaauw, W.H., Sussex monasteries at the time of their suppression: Boxgrove, Shulbred, Bayham, Dureford, Lewes: partly from original MSS, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1854, 7, 217-228.

Blaauw, W.H., Wakehurst, Slaugham and Gravetye, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1858, 10, 151-167.
Foldout shows staircase from Slaugham at the Star Hotel, Lewes. [Full text of article]

Brent, Colin; Brent, Judith, Lewes House Histories, in 5 volumes: Lewes High Street; Lewes Borough: side streets North and South; Cliffe and Malling [Part] 1681-1910; Southover; Western Road North: East to West, 2014.
Lists owners of houses, some up to 1910, but most up to the late 19th Century.
Available at The Keep, the Sussex Archaeological Society Library, and digitised full text.

Brossler, Adam;  Pope, Matthew;  Preston, Jamie, Results of archaeological and built heritage investigations along the A27 Southerham to Beddingham and Glynde junction improvements, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 2009, 147, 211-224.
Covers Railway Cottages at Southerham Crossing.

Catchpole, J., The restoration and repairs to the front elevation of County Hall, Lewes, 1958, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1962, 100, 12-23.

Challen, W.H., Baldy’s Garden, the Painters Lambert and other Sussex families, Sussex Archaeological Society, 1951-52, 90, 102-152.
Baldy’s Garden was on Cliffe Hill.

Cheesmur, Brian; Page, Rosemary; Stenlake, Frances; Weeks, Susan, The Sun Street Story, Lewes History Group, 2016.

Clark, Kim, The Twittens: the Saxon and Norman Lanes of Lewes, Pomegranate Press for the Friends of Lewes, 2012.

Clayton, C.E., Portions of old walls found at Lewes, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1892, 38, 200-201.
Supposed traces of St Andrew’s Church, Lewes, found in Pelham House garden by St. Andrew’s Lane. [Full text of article]

Coates, Richard, Four Lewes place names [Historical note], Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1985, 123, 271-273.

Cooper, W.D.; Lower, M.A., Notes on Sussex castles, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1866, 18, 141-150.
Includes incidents in the history of Lewes Castle 1241-1399.
[Full text of article]

Crowther, Annie Lilias, The Public Subscription Windmill and the Round House at Lewes: the Story of the People who Lived, Owned and Worked in these Buildings, Pipe Passage Books, 2001.

Daniel-Tyssen, Amherst, The church bells of Sussex, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1864, 16, 138-232.
Includes Lewes bellfoundry; church bells: All Saints, St Anne, St John sub Castro, St Michael, Cliffe, South Malling; Market Tower.
[Full text of article]

Daniel-Tyssen, J.R., Survey of the Church of the College of Malling, near Lewes, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1869, 21, 159-190.
Includes valuation of Malling church and its contents at the Dissolution.
[Full text of article]

Davey, L.S., The Inns of Lewes Past and Present, The Friends of Lewes, 1977. Revised edition: Davey, L.S.; Whitnall, Andrew, Pomegranate Press, 2006.

Davey, L.S., The Story of the Lewes Victoria Hospital, League of Friends of Lewes Victoria Hospital, 1981.

Dell, R.F., The Building of the County Hall, Lewes, 1808-1812, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1962, 100, 1-11.

Dunkin, Edwin Hadlow W., Contributions towards the ecclesiastical history of the Deanery of South Malling, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1875, 26, 9-96.
Introduction pp 9-11 includes list of vicars and rectors 1349-1841, St Thomas at Cliffe pp. 22-28. [Full text of article]

Ellis, Henry, Commissions of sewers for the Lewes levels, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1858, 10, 95-99. [Full text of article]

Farrant, Sue, The building of Stanmer House and the early development of the park c. 1720 to 1750, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1979, 117, 195-199.
Stanmer House was owned by the Pelham family.

Fernee, John, The Lewes Cinema Deluxe, Picture House, the Magazine of the Cinema Theatre Association, Spring 1983, 3, 10-14.

Fernee, John, The Odeon Lewes, Picture House, the Magazine of the Cinema Theatre Association, Autumn 1982, 2, 12-17.

Figg, William, Some memorials of old Lewes, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1861, 13, 1-48.
Includes foldout 1775 map of Lewes with references, woodcut, engravings. A wonderful wander through Lewes with detail of ownership of major properties.
[Full text of article]

Franks, James, Building and Saving Fitzroy Library, Lewes: a Victorian love story with a 20th Century Ending, Pomegranate Press, 2012.

Franks, James, Making Lewes History Model: the Model-Makers Remember, Pomegranate Press, 2012.

Freke, D.J., Excavations in Friar’s Walk, Lewes, 1976, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1978, 116, 179-197.

Freke, D.J., Excavations in Lewes, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1975, 113,  66-84.
Brook Street, Lancaster Street

Freke, D.J., Further excavations in Lewes, 1975, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1976, 114, 176-193.
Covers the East side of North Street.

Gardiner, Mark; Russell, Miles; Gregory, David, Excavations at Lewes Friary 1985-6 and 1988-9, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1996, 134, 71-123.

Geering, Cliff, with Armstrong, Nick; Pett, Alan; Smith, Robert; Smith, David (transcribers and editors), The Cliffe Chapel: A Historical Sketch, Christ Church, Lewes, 2016.

Geering, Cliff, with Armstrong, Nick; Pett, Alan; Smith, David (transcribers and editors); Vance, Norman (research and bibliography), The Tabernacle 1816-1829, Christ Church, Lewes, 2016.

Geering, Cliff, with Armstrong, Nick; Pett, Alan; Smith, David (transcribers and editors); Vance, Norman (research and bibliography), The Tabernacle 1829-1864, Christ Church, Lewes, 2016.

Gilbert, Richard, Another look at Magnus [Historical note], Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1985, 123, 268-270.
Magnus inscription at St John Sub Castro church

Gilbert, Richard, Evidence for tower transepts at the old church of St. John-sub-Castro, Lewes, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1974, 112, 44-47.

Godfrey, Walter H., Anne of Cleves’ House, Southover, Lewes, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1924, 65, 1-19.

Godfrey, Walter H., At the Sign of the Bull, Lewes, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1960, 98, 1-11.

Godfrey, W.H., At the Sign of the Bull, Lewes, Sussex Archaeological Society, 1938.

Godfrey, Walter H., Barbican House, Lewes, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1941-42, 82, 3-19.

Godfrey, W.H., Barbican House, Lewes, 2nd edn. Reprinted from Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1947.

Godfrey, Walter H., The High Street, Lewes, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1955, 93, 1-33.

Godfrey, Walter H., Newcastle House, Lewes, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1954, 92, 3-23.

Godfrey, Walter H., No. 173, High Street, Lewes, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1927, 68, 67-78.

Holmes, Michael, The street plan of Lewes and the Burghal Hidage, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 2010, 148, 71-78. [Abstract] [PDF 537 Kb]
The striking regular pattern of the layout of the streets of central Lewes suggests an early Saxon defensive origin.

Houghton, John, Burgage tenure and topography in Lewes, East Sussex, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1986, 124, 119-128.

Houghton, John, Lewes during the 15th century [Historical note], Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1989, 127, 256-257.

Houghton, John, A Look at Lewes: The High Street of Lewes from St Anne’s Church to Lewes Bridge, from Original Drawings by John Houghton, Tartarus Press, 1998.

Ladipo, Sue, A History of St Michael the Archangel, the Parish Church of South Malling, South Malling Parish Church, 2002. [Online version]

Lewis Andre, J.; Keyser, C.E.; Johnston, P.M.; Michel Whitley, H., (Committee Members), Mural painting in Sussex churches: [report of the Committee], Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1900, 43, 220-251.
Includes brief notes on Lewes Priory, Southover Church and St Thomas at Cliffe. [Full text of article]

Locke, Anne, Excavations at Clothkits Warehouse extension, Brooman’s Lane, Lewes, by C.E. Knight-Farr, 1978, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 2001, 139, 227-234.
Discovery of pottery of Saxon and medieval periods suggesting continuous occupation of the area at least from the 11th-12th centuries through to the present day.

Lower, Mark Antony, On certain inns and inn-signs in Sussex, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1858, 10, 181-192.
Mention of The Star (and its Martyrs connection), White Lion, Pelham Arms, Swan, Royal Oak, Dorset Arms, The Three Pelicans (the arms of Pelham family) now the Post Office. [Full text of article]

Mason, J.F.A., The Rapes of Sussex and the Norman conquest, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1964, 102, 68-93.
About church land holdings and land settlement, Lewes and de Warrenne.

Mason, Patricia, To the Bridge and Back, Pomegranate Press for Patricia Mason, 2009.
Memories of living in Lewes, particularly in the Cliffe area.

Page, Tony Brian, Excavations at Edward Street, Lewes, 1971 [Short note], Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1973, 111, 113-114.
Site of the Co-operative Society Dairy. Furnaces found indicate industrial activity.

Pocock, David, Pesthouse Field: The Story of St Anne’s Crescent, Lewes, 2nd edn, St Anne’s Crescent Residents’ Association, 1996.
First edition also published in 1996.

Rudling, David R., The archaeology of Lewes: some recent research, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1983, 121, 45-77.
Covers Brooman’s Lane, Lewes Castle, Grey Friars, Barbican House, Lewes Priory Mount, Anne of Cleves House

Rudling, David, Excavations at Cliffe, Lewes, 1987 and 1988, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1991, 129, 165-181.

Russell, D.; Russell, L., The Pubs of Lewes, East Sussex 1550-2000, Lynda Russell, 2015.

Russell, Miles, Excavations in Friars Walk, Lewes, 1989, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1990, 128, 141-156.

Salzman, Louis F., The Castle of Lewes, 1922, 63, 166-179 & 1923, 64, 136-139.
Controversy between Salzman and Hadrian Allcroft, over the latter’s contention that the mound by the Dripping Pan was the first Norman castle in Lewes, published as ‘The first castle of William Warenne’ in another archaeological journal and in a booklet circulated within the town.

Sawyer, F.E., Dedication of St Ann’s Church, Lewes, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1887, 35, 191.
Dedication changed in 1631, rather than in Queen Anne’s reign.

Sawyer, Frederick E., The White Lion – an extinct inn at Lewes, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1880, 30, 245-247.
Includes years 1557-1712. [Full text of article]

Smith, Verena, The Lewes market, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1969, 107, 87-101.

Thomson, Ruth, Screen Stories: Lewes Goes to the Pictures, Lewes History Group, 2017.

Toms, Herbert S., Mounts at Lewes and Ringmer, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1922, 63, 223-226.
Survey of the mound by the Priory & Dripping Pan

Turner, Edward, Brasses in Sussex churches, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1871, 23, 129-191.
St Michael, pp. 168-9. [Full text of article]

Turner, Edward, The College of Benedictine Canons at South Malling, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1852, 5, 127-142.

Turner, Edward, Seal of South Mallyng College, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1856, 8, 270.
With woodcut. [Full text of article]

Vincent, Alex, Windmills of Lewes: Windmills in Lewes and Surrounding Districts, Publisher unknown, 2013. (ISBNs: 1989753078, 9781989753071)

Vines, Gail; Price, Frances, Remembering ‘Round-the-Down’: topographical perspectives on early settlement and land-use at Southerham, near Lewes, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 2005, 143, 117-134. [Abstract] [PDF 1890Kb]

Whittick, Christopher, The history of the hospital of St. Nicholas, Lewes and its successors, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 2010, 148, 111-127. [Abstract] [PDF 1Mb]

Advertisements