Berry, Sue, Laughton Church chancel and other major church alterations in and around Lewes, East Sussex, c. 1740 – 1810: the roles of architects and local craftsmen, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 2004, 142, 107-113. [Abstract] [PDF 3600Kb]
Includes St Michael’s on Lewes High Street, St Thomas’s in Cliffe, All Saints on Friars Walk, as well as Laughton Church and Glynde Church.
Brent, Colin, Urban employment and population in Sussex between 1550 and 1660, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1975, 113, 35-50.
Compares and contrasts Lewes with Brighton, Hastings, and Rye.
Bruce, Bill; Smith, Marion, Clock Stars, Antique Collecting, April 2016 (The Horological Issue), 12-16.
Celebrates the clock-making traditions of the town of Lewes.
Daniel-Tyssen, Amherst, The church bells of Sussex, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1864, 16, 138-232.
Includes Lewes bellfoundry; church bells: All Saints, St Anne, St John sub Castro, St Michael, Cliffe, South Malling; Market Tower.
[Full text of article]
Farrant, John H., The evolution of Newhaven harbour and the lower Ouse before 1800, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1972, 110, 44-60.
About Lewes trade, with Newhaven acting as the port of Lewes.
Godman, Stanley, A collection of Lewes handbills, 1768-1777, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1959, 97, 58-68.
Hill, Alan F., A Lewes Banking House, Sussex Industrial History, 1994, 24, 25-29.
[Full text of volume containing the article]
Rudling, David, Lewes commemorative medals of Queen Victoria [Archaeological note], Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1985, 123, 267.
Sawyer, Frederick Ernest, Sussex markets and fairs, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1888, 36, 180-192.
The Domesday Survey suggests Lewes to be the earliest market in Sussex, and included slave sales, p. 182. Also mentions: William de Warenne’s grant to Lewes Priory of the whole market of wood in Lewes; the earliest mention of a market house – 1564; Cliffe market grant by Henry IV.
[Full text of article]
Sawyer, John, Notes on the Ridge family, being some extracts from “A Book of Memorandums Kept by William Ridge”, 1715-1785, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1890, 37, 116-132.
William Ridge had family connections with Lewes. Includes a grocer’s bill for 1759, flood destroying Cliffe Bridge 1726, earthquake 1734, river frozen 1739, reports of religious services in Lewes. [Full text of article]
Smith, Verena, The Lewes market, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1969, 107, 87-101.
Sutton, T., The John Every Collection, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1943, 83, 121-136.
John Every, ironfounder, and his collection of artefacts relating to iron founding, bequeathed to the Sussex Archaeological Society.
Whitbourn, Richard, Local mintages, Sussex Archaeological Collections, 1857, 9, 369-370.
Indicates that there were two moneyers (mintages) in Lewes at the time of Athelstan. [Full text of article]