A Church and its Community
St John sub Castro Church and Lewes History Group have joined together to mount an exhibition entitled “A Church & its Community”.
The displays feature prints, photos and information on:
- St John sub Castro, past, present and future
- LHG’s Lewes Street Stories research on Sun Street, St John Street, Toronto Terrace, Church Row and Pelham Terrace
- The history of the Pells School
- Soldiers from the parish who are on Lewes’ WW1 & WW2 memorial
- Insight into how the Finns prisoners came to Lewes
The church will be open as part of the Heritage Open Days on 12 September 2015, plus the two Saturdays following (19 and 26 September), 10am – 5pm.
Refreshments will be available
Image of the Church and surrounding area in the 1870s. Courtesy of St John sub Castro Church