The Sussex Archaeological Society has two collections of sketches and watercolours by the artist and antiquarian Henry Petrie, FSA (1768 – 1842).
In the late 18th and early 19th centuries Petrie began a record of all the churches and historic buildings across the counties of Sussex, Surrey, Bedfordshire and Kent.
In 1975, with assistance from its members and the Art Fund, The Sussex Archaeological Society purchased what became known as The Sharpe Collection of Watercolours of Sussex Churches.
Pat and Sue Berry have scanned 330 watercolours from this collection, including ones of churches in and around Lewes c 1800, and the Sussex Archaeological Society Library have now made these publicly available. The images and watercolours are all owned by the Society.
There is a link to this collection from the Lewes History Group resource page for photos and images.
Images copyright of Sussex Archaeological Society