Screen Stories – Lewes Goes to the Pictures
This book was published by the Lewes History Group on 27 May 2017.
The building of Depot, Lewes’ new cinema, was the original catalyst for Screen Stories. Reel Lewes, a group of Lewes-based film professionals and researchers led by Ruth Thomson, has spent two years investigating the history of the three previous cinemas in the town: the County Theatre (Watergate Lane), Cinema de Luxe (School Hill) and the Odeon (Cliffe), which operated from 1910 to 1971.
The team recorded what Lewesians remember about cinema-going in the past. While not intended to be a comprehensive history of Lewes cinemas, Screen Stories does vividly bring to life the importance of film and cinema, both in the life of the town and in the lives of its residents.
With the aim of producing an enticing and amusing read, it combines photographs, advertisements, film posters, programmes, newspaper articles, and architectural plans along with the enthusiastic and enduring memories of the people who frequented these picture palaces.
They have also produced a short film, called ‘Big Screen Memories’, which was shown at the book launch alongside an exhibition at the opening of Depot on 27 May to 30 June 2017.
Screen Stories is available to order by printing this order form and sending it with your cheque to the address shown, price £8.99 plus p&p. It will also be on sale at the Lewes History Group’s monthly meetings, and also from the Lewes Tourist Information Centre.
Reviews of Screen Stories:
- Lewes News article on Screen Stories, May 2017
- Viva Lewes note, May 2017, page 106
- Viva Lewes review, July 2017, page 19
- Love Lewes podcast, May 2017 (18:18 minutes from the beginning)
- Lewes News, No. 226, May 2017, page 8 (author’s description of book)
- Sussex Express coverage, 26.5.17
- Review in Cinema Theatre Association Bulletin, Vol 51, No 4, July/August 2017, page 4
- Sussex Book Club Newsletter No. 40, Autumn/Winter 2017, page 6
- Historical Journal of Film, Radio and Television, Vol 38, No 2, 2018, pages 219-220 (reproduced with Author’s permission, © Dr Ciara Chambers)
- Sussex Life, March 2018, page 83 (reproduced with permission from Sussex Life)
- Media International Australia, Vol 168, Issue 1, August 2018, pages 184-185.